Back braces are beneficial devices that help you complete daily tasks like walking, lifting, bending or twisting when you suffer from back pain. It’s common to wear your brace most of the day, but should the brace be worn at night while you sleep? The short answer to whether you can sleep in a back brace is no. Keep reading to discover some helpful tips on living with a back brace.
Things to do
- Keep the brace over any night clothing.
- Most braces do have Velcro® straps that could irate your skin if exposed by direct contact.
- Make sure you position your body properly when getting into and out of bed.
- Training may be provided on safely using your back brace. Make sure you know the proper way to go from a sitting position to lying down and then getting back up again.
- Be aware of how you sleep.
- Using a back brace safely and correctly is extremely important to ensure you do not add to the damage the brace in working to correct. If you move a lot in your sleep, or get up and walk around while sleeping wearing the back brace at night may not be safe for you.
- Make sure your back stays cool and dry while you wear the back brace at night.
- You want to avoid moisture and sweat while you wear the back brace to keep the risk of skin ulcers low.
Don’t do these things
- Wear your back brace if you have any discomfort when lying down.
- The back brace is supposed to help relieve pain, now cause any. So if you are not comfortable lying down with it on your body, it will be best to sleep without it.
- Sleep in your back brace if you experience sleep apnea or trouble breathing when you lay down.
- The added constriction around your body may make you feel suffocated and create an episode that can be avoided by simply sleeping without your back brace on.
- Use a pillow as additional support while sleeping in your back brace.
- The back brace is designed to provide the support you need. Adding a pillow may overextend your back and cause more pain. (However, you may add a pillow under or between your knees to reduce discomfort).
- Spend any more time than necessary in the bed or lying down.
- A back brace is a device used to strengthen your back. Lying down inhibits the benefits of the brace, so you should not spend long periods of time in bed while wearing your brace.
These are a few do’s and don’ts for using your back brace at night or while sleeping. You should consult your doctor or physical therapist for specific instructions on how to get the most relief from wearing your back brace. Click on the Qualify Through Insurance here to see if your insurance will cover a back brace for you and start reducing your back pain today. If you have any question or would like more information on getting started on the process of obtaining your back brace give us a call as 844-686-5539.
Back braces offer so many benefits — from pain relief to healing, not to mention the stabilization of weakened areas caused by surgery, the positives to wearing a brace far outweigh any negatives. Between 60 [...]
When your back hurts, there’s nothing else that you’re thinking about except getting relief. When patches, wraps and creams don’t work, your best bet is likely a back brace. Back braces have provided relief to [...]
If you are considering purchasing a back brace and have Medicare, there are few things you should know before paying full price for a brace. First, you should consider how a brace will help treat [...]